Pages

Friday 24 April 2020

Anzac day

Caesar the Anzac dog - Online Cenotaph - Auckland War Memorial Museum
This is a photo of Caesar he was a dog in the world war.
Today I was learning about Anzac day, what is Anzac day,  Anzac day is we we all come together and remember all the soldiers that went to war and died. I learnt that the army used animals like dogs cats donkeys horses homing pigeons. The homing pigeons were used to send messages, dogs were used to find injured soldiers in the no mans trench, cats were used to kill rats, donkeys were used to carry water and resources, horses were used for the Calvary the Calvary are the soldiers that rode on the horses, but some animals were used as mascots. Mascots are animals or something that represents a team or something they were used for keeping the soldiers company and it was also said that mascots are for good luck.Some young men were exited to go to war because they were going to travel around the world, some people lied about their age so they can go to war and some of them were only fifteen.Also over eight hundred New Zealand soldiers died in one day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kian
    You've found out quite a lot about animals during World War I - my guess is that you've read the journal story "First World War Mascots".
    Isn't it incredible that people lied about their age to join the war, and then so many people died in such a short period of time. It must have been a very sad time for their families.
    Keep up the great work on your blogs ... maybe add a picture or two next time.
    - Mr Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you've added a picture to this blog post!

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next
time or ask me a question.